Current Job Opportunities
Job Title: Animal Care Manager
Department: Animal Care
Reports to: COO
Oversees: Staff and Volunteers in Dog Building
Hours: Full Time
Wags and Walks mission is to save family friendly dogs from high kill shelters and place them in loving homes.
The Dog Adoption Center Manager plays an important leadership role in ensuring that Adoption Center Staff and volunteers follows established guidelines regarding company policy, animal admissions, resident care and adoptions. The Adoption Center Manager is also responsible for ensuring that high quality, personalized customer service is provided to every person. The Adoption Center Manager will create and foster a pleasant and sanitary working and learning environment for both customers, volunteers and employees. This will include ability to train, grow and oversee team of volunteers assisting in your role. The Adoption Center Manager sees that all other WW policies and Procedures are followed and will be held accountable for the entire staff's adherence when it comes care of the center and communication with Manager about issues involving center. This role requires a person who remains calm under pressure and can effectively multitask. This position is perfect for people who want hands on dog experience plus enjoy working with people.
Responsibilities include but not limited to: Overall management of the daily operations of Wags and Walks Dog Adoption Center; supervising staff and volunteers, overseeing dog care and adoption of dogs.
Management and Operations:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, volunteers, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor and good communicator written and verbal on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with employees, volunteers, the public and anyone in the community.
- Management of center ensuring volunteers and employees are following WW expectations.
- Scheduling and coordinating shifts to ensure all needs of the center are attended to (works closely with Volunteer Manager and COO).
- Keeps the facility clean, safe, organized, sanitary, presentable and stocked with supplies.
Customer Service & External Relations:
- Oversees and ensures that the highest quality client services are offered to all visitors, callers, and email inquiries (internal and external).
- Ensures the meeting our dogs and adoption process is a positive, mutually beneficial experience for potential adopters, visitors, staff, volunteers and animals. (Works closely with Adoptions Team).
- Handles complaints and unsatisfied customers in a professional manner.
- Identifies opportunities to promote WW services.
- Oversees and monitors all written adoption center information on web sites, emails and materials.
Staff & Volunteers:
- Ensures that all volunteers know our organization policy and customer service techniques.
- Implements effective communication practices with all staff and volunteers to foster mutual understanding and teamwork.
- Ensures volunteer schedules are managed and covered as well as training.
- Identifies and coordinates professional development opportunities for volunteers.
- Collaborates with Volunteer Manager and behavior staff on matters of volunteer training, mentoring, enrichment and appreciation and supervises volunteers placed in Adoption Centers.
- Ensure all volunteers are wearing appropriate tees and badges and tracks progress.
- Works directly with fosters team and dogs going to foster homes for in house support and accountability.
- Ensures that all areas of the Adoption Center are maintained in a manner that provides staff, volunteers, clients and animals an environment that is safe, healthy, clean and uncluttered.
- Ensures staff complies with all safety policies, safe animal handling and OSHA standards.
- Monitors and ensures disease control guidelines are met.
- Ensures the proper notifications are made to the Training and Enrichment Coordinator in the event of any behavioral changes in the resident animals.
Documentation, Inventory and Money Handling
- Ensures that all paperwork & Google, Shelter Manager and any new program) records are properly entered and maintained, such as adoption, admission, cash outs and behavior.
- Ensures that inventory is documented, maintained, ordered and organized.
- Monitors all dog adoption center expenses and maintains dog Adoption Center budget.
- Promotes savings, material donations and monetary donations.
- Minimum of 3-4 years experience in a lead supervisory role. Prior experience in an animal-sheltering preferred, kennel or veterinary environment with public or private agency preferred.
- Works well and communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, with the public, staff and volunteers.
- Excellent leadership and assertiveness skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and complete projects with limited supervision.
- Ability to maintain composure and excel in a fast-paced environment while remaining organized and accurate.
- Ability to communicate with the public in a respectful manner, even under pressure.
- Leader, mentor, multi tasker and problem solver.
- Computer and data entry experience, shelter software knowledge a plus.
- Ability to represent the values of WW by working in a culturally diverse environment and community in a way that fosters understanding and compassion.
- Ability to work a 5 day, flexible schedule with nights and weekend work required.
- Able to lift a minimum of 30 pounds.
- Must have a current and valid California Driver’s License and be insurable with the W&W Insurance policy for driving a company vehicle.
If interested in this position please send a cover letter and a resume to: Howard@wagsandwalks.org and firstname.lastname@example.org
Wags & Walks is always looking for dedicated volunteers to help us achieve of mission.