ADOPTER QUESTIONS & MEET AND GREETS
- Foster to Adopt: A "Foster to Adopt" is a one week trial period in which a dog is not available for other meet and greets while a pre-approved applicant determines if they would like to keep the dog. After filling out an online application and being pre-screened, the potential adopter will sign a Foster to Adopt contract and submit a $200 deposit. This process will be facilitated by the Wags and Walks team. Not all dogs are able to go into a foster to adopt situation - please ask us first before discussing this with interested adopters.
- Meet and Greets: Do not schedule meet and greets without our permission. We need to have all potential adopters apply online and be pre-screened before we schedule a meet and greet. This process must be followed even if a friend, family member or co-worker wants to adopt your foster dog. If someone is interested in your foster, please have them fill out an application on our website and we will be in touch with them. Let us know to be on the lookout for their application! After a meet and greet with a potential adopter, please share your feedback with us - we will take your thoughts and insight into consideration in selecting the best home for your foster dog.
- Handing a Dog Off to an Adopter: Check with us before giving your foster dog to an adopter or foster to adopt. No dogs are allowed to leave our rescue until deposit or adoption fee is paid, contract is signed, and possibly a homecheck has been completed. Once the dog is adopted, all Wags and Walks supplies must be returned to us included collar, leash, toys, "adopt me" vest or bandana and crate. Please do not give these supplies to the adopter.
- Adoption Fees: Adoption fee is $400 for adults and $450 for puppies that are not fixed. For puppies this includes $50 which is refundable after the dog is spayed/neutered - the cost of which is covered by Wags and Walks and we will schedule the appointment through our vet. Please ask us if you do not know the adoption fee for your foster. The adoption fee includes spay/neuter, first round of shots only, microchip, initial flea treatment. Large dogs and puppies may also have additional items included in adoption fee. If you don’t know, ask us.
- Dog Background: Applicants will often ask about the dog's background and where they came from. Feel free to ask a Wags and Walks representative and we will share as much information as we have. Unfortunately many dogs come into the shelters as strays with little information on their history, however all Wags and Walks dog are selected based on their temperament so we always pick dogs that we know will thrive when placed in the proper forever home.