The Operations Manager will be responsible for managing the office for the organization and ensuring we save as many dogs as possible through efficiencies and leadership. This job includes but is not limited to accounts payable, scheduling, administration duties, inventory upkeep and creating organizational and program budgets in collaboration with the Chief Animal Lover.
Reporting to the Chief Animal Lover, this position's primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing day to day record keeping/data entry and attention to detail for the organization's day to day flow of everything that happens from the minute a dog gets saved until they reach their forever home. This includes acting as the liaison between the Chief Animal Lover and the amazing staff and volunteers.
The position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices.
• Improve office systems, processes and policies in support of the organization’s mission through information flow and management, business process and organizational planning, proactive inputting of information and keeping track of all important documents and information.
• Work directly with medical and off site administrator to ensure teamwork and effectiveness. Plays a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward office/operational excellence.
• Development and management of individual program budgets in coordination with the Chief Animal Lover
• Track and approve scheduling.
• Disbursement of checks for organization expenses.
• Regular meetings with Chief Animal Lover around planning and reporting.
• Overseeing and development of support staff.
• Communication between CAL and employees to ensure effective communication and implement structure and order
• Plan/Manage weekly staff meetings with follow up as well as keeping track of calendar and assist CAL to remind and track schedule
Responsibilities by Function
Financial and Administrative Management
• Participate in annual budgeting and planning process for the organization's annual budget with CAL and Board of Directors.
• Oversee monthly and quarterly assessments and forecasts of organization's financial performance against budget, financial and operational goals.
• Manage day to day processing of accounts payable ensuring bills are paid in a timely manner, documented and reported back to accountant. Work in partnership with offsite administrator.
• Disbursement of checks for organization expenses.
• Work with Donor and Strategic Development Specialist to monitor all fundraising and accounting systems, billings and receipts for the recording of all revenue transactions associated with fundraisers.
• Ensure organization is protected through proper insurance.
• Communicate with employees for inventory needs. Order supplies from cost efficient vendors/partners.
• Communicate with CAL and employees effectively and efficiently. Planning and strategizing protocols for anticipated scenarios and how to handle each one professionally
• Coordinate schedule of all employees to ensure coverage seven days a week.
Organizational Effectiveness and Leadership
• Drive initiatives in the management team and organizationally that contribute to long-term operational excellence. Oversee a quarterly meeting to discuss all processes and make improvements as needed. Communicate changes and updates to Wags and Walks core team and employees.
• Increase the effectiveness and efficiency of communication and coordination between employees as well as between employees and volunteers.
• Providing consulting services on matters related to fundraising, tax and insurance questions, and business structure and growth.
• Provide leadership, training, support and development to Wags & Walks support staff
• Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team.
• Plan quarterly team building event and coordinate meetings/schedules with follow up
• Serve as primary liaison to legal counsel in addressing legal issues e.g. copyright, antitrust, governing instruments, partnerships, licensing etc.
• Oversee organizational insurance policies.
• Commitment to animal advocacy and the Wags and Walks mission.
• At least 3 years experience in Management (operational, financial, and management of team members).
• Strong background and work experience in Leadership and Budgets.
• Excellent computer skills and proficient in Excel, Word, Google docs and willingness to learn other software.
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
• Experience in bookkeeping.
• Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
• Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
• Budget development and oversight experience.
• A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
• Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status.
• Excels at operating in a fast paced, community environment where problem solving will be a constant factor.
• Excellent people manager, open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done.
• Ability to look at situations from several points of view.
• Delegate responsibilities effectively.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter, resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org