Job Title: Manager of Operations
Reports to: COO
Direct Reports: Supervises all staff (approximately 20 people)
Job Type: Full Time (Exempt)
Wags and Walks is a rapidly growing, mission driven, non-profit, that aims to rescue and find homes for thousands of dogs in the Los Angeles area. One of our primary goals is to break the stigma that rescue dogs are damaged goods, save their lives, and mobilize our community by partnering with thousands of volunteers to provide foster care, and eventually permanent homes, for these loving animals.
The Manager of Operations at Wags and Walks oversees day-to-day operations of the organization, facilities, administration and management of all personnel. The Manager of Operations reports to the COO and will focus on operational efficiency, staff and volunteer management, and executing the strategic planning and goal-setting set by CEO in order to support our mission and achieve our goals. This role will improve operational efficiencies, track and measure existing programs and events, develop new processes and programs, and keep the entire organization on track for continued growth. The Manager of Operations will serve as the liaison between employees and COO and CEO and must have strong interpersonal and communication skills. Successful candidates will provide leadership, stability and strong management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for day-to-day operation of WW Adoption Center and WW overall, including:
● Oversees and maintains the highest standards of animal care and welfare at all times in
accordance with WW policies.
● Manage daily operations of organization and all personnel.
● Improve guidelines for personnel evaluations, staff advancement and recruitment
procedures and training protocols. Train all new staff.
● Responsible for improving operational efficiency in all departments, such as volunteer
recruitment and retainment, adoption rates and retention, customer relations,
programming, safety and disease prevention and marketing.
● Manages weekly check in meetings with all leadership staff, develops and provides
● Develop and maintain internal control systems to ensure accountability.
● Implements effective communication practices with all staff and volunteers to foster
mutual understanding and teamwork.
● Ensures staff complies with all safety policies, safe animal handling and OSHA
● Manages organizational paperwork and online records ensuring they are up to date,
accurate and ensuring confidential information is handled properly. This includes
adoption, admission, donation, medical, cash outs and behavior reports.
● Conducts and documents quarterly check ins and yearly employee evaluations.
● Ensure supervisors/managers are effectively leading their teams and efficiently working
● Identifies and coordinates professional development opportunities for staff.
● Hiring/staff morale and development/scheduling.
● The ideal candidate has a sincere passion for people and animals.
● The ideal person for this job would be caring, personable, professional, upbeat and
energetic, who takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy, and is a team player.
● Must be willing to get hands dirty, be flexible and reliable.
● Demonstrate drive and determination.
● Be an excellent problem solver and make quick decisions in a fast-paced
● Ability to work closely with management but also work autonomously.
● Can multitask and maintain order in a fast-paced dynamic environment with a heavy
flow of foot traffic (humans and our four-legged friends).
● Must be able to take direction and constructive feedback for improvement
● Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a diverse community in a
professional, pleasant, respectful manner, and use good judgement.
● Must love dogs
Qualification and Skills
● College degree in management, business administration and or HR (preferred)
○ HR Certificate or a Master’s in Human Resources preferred but not necessary
● 5+ years of management experience preferred
● Demonstrate basic financial management and budgeting skills
● Make sound business decision based on data and statistics
● Structure effective training programs and measure their success
● Proficient with Microsoft Windows and Office applications. Comfortable learning new
systems, including online information systems, shelter software and Google Docs.
● Our hours are 12pm-8pm, seven days a week. Due to our busiest times being on the
weekends, this position requires working at least one weekend day (however a flexible
work schedule will be provided).
Please submit application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Internship
Reports to: Team leads/Office Manager
Compensation: Course credit and volunteer hours only
The internship position is responsible for assisting all teams with various tasks and projects during the term of a minimum of 12 weeks. Projects include tasks relevant to the daily operations of the rescue including administrative duties, data management, community outreach, office support and transport coordination. The internship will include opportunities on every team within the rescue including the operations team, the foster team, the volunteer team, the fundraising team and marketing team. Interns will be instrumental in assisting team members with all tasks involved in operating a dog rescue.
• Must have excellent customer service experience
• Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
• The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
• Solid and successful management/leadership experience required
• Must be an excellent problem solver / quick thinker who can work with minimal supervision
• Proven attention to detail with organizational and time management skills
• Demonstrates excellent communication (verbal and written), listening and customer service skills
• Works across organizational lines to support Wags and Walks strategic planning.
• Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a diverse community in a professional, pleasant, respectful manner and use good judgment
• Affection for dogs and concern for their well being
• Must be knowledgeable about dog behaviors and characteristics to help match make.
• Must be comfortable with delegation to the appropriate staff/volunteers
• Must be willing to get hands dirty, be flexible and reliable
• Work as a team with volunteers and staff
• Flexible and a passion for the Wags and Walks mission
• Must be currently enrolled in college or on break with a plan to enroll in the Fall.
• Must have reliable transportation.
• Must have a current and valid California Driver’s License and be insurable with the W&W Insurance policy for driving a company vehicle.
• Must have and maintain a good driving record. Should be familiar with the local community streets and areas and must be capable of reading a map.
• Must be a High School graduate or equivalent
• Must be of good moral character and must have an even disposition and be able to deal effectively and politely with people from all types of backgrounds and experience and in all types of difficult situations. This person must have definite abilities to evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound judgment when working without supervision and under emotional stress. These are extremely important and critical qualifications
• A high level of professionalism and strong interpersonal skills are required.
Please submit application to email@example.com
Wags & Walks is always looking for dedicated volunteers to help us achieve our mission.